Week commencing 07/09/20
The goal of this weeknote is to form observations and conclude the week. I have also decided to start simply numbering my weeknotes.
The daily breakdown:
- Monday. I had a week off bank holiday week, and on my return scheduled in catch-ups and 121s until the end of the year with each of the members of my team. I caught up with my colleagues, and finalised objectives with our User Researcher together until the end of the year. I started attending a meeting for the Development Outcome Delivery Group. This lead to a good conversation around OKRs within discovery projects
- Tuesday. Weekly catch-up on our discovery project with Snook. Start of external user research synthesis. My own 121 with my manager
- Wednesday. A whole day of external user research synthesis
- Thursday. At this point in the week I left space for the team to carry on with user research synthesis, whilst I worked on other things. I did a learning module on Managing Teams in a Matrix. The session was very fast and I was unaware that there was preparation required, I have provided feedback to the facilitator - it’s one of those that will take time and when it sinks in I will have drawn my own meaning and understanding of the topic. Two check-ins on the external user research findings. And then a session as an organisational values champion, drawing out and listening to some truly amazing examples of how people from across all parts of the organisation have been making a difference over the last 6 months
- Friday. We are coming to the final phases of our discovery project, and as JRF delivery lead, I spent some time attending to the needs of others on the project. I spent half a day co-ordinating and communicating, getting all the right people to the right working sessions in the next phase of the project so that the team can reach the right project outcomes. Meanwhile the team worked on the agenda for our upcoming external research show and tell.
It’s clear to the core team — we are newly formed (within JRF) and cutting our teeth on this live project. For some of us, it’s the biggest project we have done in our substantive roles.
Time, cost and scope is fixed — we’ve done phenomenally well to keep this project on track. These are my observations at the end of external user reseach:
- We have just completed a phase of external user research with our internal User Researcher. That’s a first for us, and the team and a huge milestone! I feel privileged to have this capability in my team
- I thought we’d need to run a pilot interview, we didn’t and it all went smoothly. Perhaps that’s my impulse to test and learn, which likely happened — just in some other way
- The participant recruitment method appears to have had the largest impact on how things ran, this aspect of our project alone is probably worth a dedicated retro. We could probably do that as we have a Delivery Manager join the wider team soon. We know we have a starting point to improve our operations
- I’ve seen amazing team working in order to get all the participants recruited, many of our colleagues supporting the project and helping make a difference
- The team did a really great job to get this far with research synthesis within a week, but I cant help but feel next time this should be run in a two week sprint. I’m not sure how the others feel, but I personally need time to reflect and let things sink in
And that’s it, these are the highlights I am sharing from last week.